Friday, March 23, 2012

Crustless Cheesy Bacon and Avocado Quiche (sugar Free • gluten free • low carb)

The other night, I realized I forgot to thaw out anything for dinner and had no plan really for what we were going to eat. That seems to happen more then I would like lately. Pregnancy brain is no joke. I will actually be getting ready in the morning and will say to myself, "Don't forget to get the chicken out to thaw"... Then in my car on the way to work, I will realize that I totally dropped the ball on that one. Again. Lucky I do keep some things on hand just for this reason. In a pinch, there are usually some leftovers hanging out in the fridge somewhere, or some cottage cheese or lunch meat to just make some sandwiches. 

My favorite quickie dinner though, is making breakfast food. I could eat breakfast food for all three of my meals for the day. On this particular night though, I didn't want to go with the usual. I wanted to try to come up with something a little out of the norm for us. So I did a quick inventory of what we had on hand and thought, "Why not throw a bunch of this crap together and make a quiche"?  The result ended up being something delicious that I will definitely be making again!

I loved the creaminess of the avocados and the cream cheese. The bacon added some great flavor to the inside, but next time, I will definitely add some more bacon to the top for some crunch and will include that in the recipe. Adding some sausage to the inside would be super yummy too or trying different cheeses or herbs. The options are endless!

Without further ado, I give you...

 

Crustless Cheesy Bacon and Avocado Quiche
(sugar Free • gluten free • low carb)

Ingredients:
  • 8 Eggs
  • 1/2 C Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 White Onion, Chopped
  • 1/2 Tb Marjoram
  • 1/2 Tb French Tarragon
  • 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 Avocados
  • 5 oz Cream Cheese
  • 3/4 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 15 Strips Cooked Bacon


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Grease an 8x8 glass cooking dish.
  3. Crumble 10 strips of bacon and layer the bottom of the dish (reserve the rest for the topping).
  4. Cut avocados in half, remove seed and slice lines vertically and horizontally, then scoop out of skin with a spoon. Layer on top of the bacon. 
  5. Cut up cream cheese into little cubes and layer on top of avocados.
  6. Scramble eggs and whisk in the heavy cream, chopped onion and seasonings. Pour on top of everything else already layered in the baking dish. 
  7. Sprinkle half the shredded cheese all over the top.
  8. Crumble the rest of the bacon and add to the top of the dish.
  9. Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the bacon.
  10. Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the quiche is set in the middle.
  11. Enjoy!

This post is part of Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday and the Healthy Home Economist's Monday Mania.




11 comments:

Carrie @ 20-Something Homemaker said...

Oh gracious, that looks VERY, VERY good!

Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with avocado during my pregnancy and still have a hard time with it now, even though I loved it before. Hopefully I'll get over that soon, because this sounds so good!

Oh, and God bless you with that pregnancy brain! I had it so badly too. It was almost funny, only it caused a lot of trouble most of the time :)

Laura said...

Carrie, you could make this exactly as is but without the avocado and it would still be really good! What a bummer, you had problems with it though... I would hate to have to give up avos!

Laura said...

Oooh or better yet, throw in some tomatoes in their place!

Carrie @ 20-Something Homemaker said...

It was the weirdest thing! My morning sickness had been gone for quite a while and I was eating everything I hadn't been able to handle before. So one day when I was feeling like an avocado, I quartered one up, plated it with a little salt and chowed down. But before I could finish it I got super sick all over again. Just that nasty nauseous feeling- no serious reaction. Sadly, it's stuck :(

Tomatoes though I LOOOOOOVE! I used to pick tomatoes out of my parents garden when I was little and eat them like apples. I will definitely be trying this out soon!

Laura said...

Wow that is so strange! And what a bummer since avos are so healthy and can be such a quick and easy treat. I really hope you get over that... I am sure you will at some point.

And I think this recipe would be amazing with tomatoes.

Sarah Smith said...

I've never cooked avocados before! Do they get softer and does the flavor change? This looks so yummy!

Laura said...

Sarah, they get really smooth and creamy... they are delicious! Let me know if you try it :)

Carol said...

This recipes looks SO delicious! It has all of my favorite things: eggs, avocado, and bacon. I can't wait to try it!

Laura said...

I hope you like it Carol, please let me know if you do make it :)

Karen said...

I made this quiche last week and it was ready to go in the oven when my son broke his arm. It went into the refrigerator and we went off to the emergency room. We got home too late to cook it that night and we had a commitment on the calendar for the next night. This quiche was awesome even after sitting in the refrigerator for two days. I was worried the avocados would turn brown but they did not. They were creamy and beautiful the way avocados should be! I increased the baking time to 45 minutes since it was chilled. Thanks for a great new recipe!

Laura said...

Thank you so much for letting me know Karen. I am really glad your family enjoyed it!